Filing a Complaint

How to File a Complaint About ServiceThere are several options available to you when you are not satisfied with the service you receive from an employee of the Sheriff's Office.
  • Any immediate concern can be reported to the on-duty shift Sergeant by calling the non-emergency number in the Communications Center at 320-864-3134
  • You may call the Sheriff's Office during business hours at 320-864-3134
  • You may visit the Sheriff's Office
  • You may complete the Citizen Complaint form and mail it to the Sheriff’s Office
Mail or In-Person
McLeod County Sheriff's Office
McLeod County Law Enforcement Center
801 - 10th Street East
Glencoe, Minnesota 55336

Send an email to McLeod County Sheriff's Office Administration

Call 320-864-3134 during business hours and ask for the Chief Deputy

How Complaints are Resolved
At the conclusion of an investigation, the case file is sent to the McLeod County Sheriff for review and also provides a verbal account of the investigation. The investigator will recommend a disposition to the Sheriff following a review of the case facts. Depending upon the facts and circumstances of the case, the Sheriff may take immediate action himself.

In all cases, the Sheriff is the final decision-making authority.

Once the Sheriff renders a final disposition, the complainant will be advised of the case disposition in writing. The possible dispositions are:

  • Unfounded – Allegation is false or not factual
  • Not Sustained – Insufficient evidence to prove or disprove the incident
  • Exonerated – Incident occurred, but it was lawful and proper
  • Sustained – Allegation is supported by sufficient evidence to justify a reasonable conclusion of guilt
Discipline of any employee, if the complaint is sustained, may take several forms ranging from counseling to termination.

Although you may be informed of the disposition of your complaint and any actions taken against the employee, your statements, witness statements, peace officer statements, and other evidence obtained by the investigator will remain private pursuant to Minnesota Statute, Chapter 13.43, Subdivision 2. This means you are able to speak freely to a Sheriff's Office Investigator without fear of revenge by any staff member or fellow citizens.

Falsely Reporting Police Misconduct
Falsely reporting an act of police misconduct is a criminal offense.

Minnesota Statute 609.505, Subdivision 2. Falsely reporting police misconduct or police criminal activity is punishable as (1) a misdemeanor if the false information does not allege a criminal act; (2) a gross misdemeanor if the false information alleges a criminal act. Any person convicted will have to make full restitution not to exceed $3,000.

Sign up for the latest news and updates

Learn More