Voting FAQ

Voting FAQ

How do I contact the McLeod County Elections and Voter Registration Office?
McLeod County Auditor-Treasurer
McLeod County Government Center
520 Chandler Avenue North
Glencoe, Minnesota 55336

Phone 320-864-1203
Fax 320-864-3268
Who is eligible to vote?
You are eligible to vote in Minnesota if you are at least 18 years of age or older on Election Day, a citizen of the United States and a resident of Minnesota for at least 20 days immediately preceding the election day.
How do I register to vote?
Call McLeod County Auditor-Treasurer at 320-864-1260. Leave your name, address and the number of eligible voters in your household. Voter registration applications will be mailed to you. Voter registration applications are also available at your local city hall, post office, and school district office.
What if I have changed my name since I last registered?
Any previously registered voter who changes his/her name and/or address must re-register to vote. A change of name or address requires a new registration and new signature from the applicant. If you have moved since the last time you voted, it is important to update your voter information so that you are voting for candidates that will represent you.
Why should I pre-register to vote?
Voting will be faster and easier if you are registered to vote when you arrive at the polls on Election Day. You can register on Election Day; however you will need to bring proof of residency with you.
How do I register on Election Day?

To register on Election Day, you must bring identification showing your current address to provide proof of residency, and a photo ID to establish your identity.  Valid proof of identity includes any of the following:

  • MN driver's license, MN learner's permit, or MN identification card showing a current address - or a receipt of any of these 
  • Previous registration from the same precinct
  • "Notice of late registration" from the County Auditor-Treasurer Office
  • A registered voter from your precinct who personally knows you reside in the precinct and will vouch for your identity. 
  • A photo ID and a current utility bill showing your name and address in the precinct
What if I cannot get to the polls on Election Day?
You may cast an absentee ballot if you are unable to get to your polling site on Election Day. Absentee ballots are available 46 days before the election. Requesting a ballot is a two-step process. First, you must complete an absentee ballot application. Then you will receive a blank ballot to vote and return to the County. If you are eligible to vote by absentee ballot, you may do so either by mail or in person until 5:00 p.m. the evening before the election.
What if I am not registered to vote, but want to cast an absentee ballot?
If you are not a registered voter, you can still register and vote by absentee ballot. A voter registration application will be included with your absentee ballot materials. The completed voter registration application must be returned with your ballot. The application cannot be returned separately. Only select forms of identification are allowed to register to vote and a witness to countersign the application is required.
How can I serve as an election judge?
Election Judges are an integral part of the election process. The hours for working on Election Day are from 6 a.m. until all the votes are counted after the polls close at 8 p.m. Election judges may serve as many hours as needed in the precinct in which they are assigned. All judges must attend a training session before working at the polls on Election Day. If you are interested in serving as an election judge, either contact the County Auditor-Treasurer Office or the city or township clerk where you reside.

Sign up for the latest news and updates

Learn More