Absentee Voting

If you are not voting in person, you should submit your application by mail or fax at least four days before the election, to ensure adequate mail transit time.

The application and instructions for absentee voters voting through the mail can be found below under Downloadable Files below. 

To obtain an absentee ballot through the mail, complete the Absentee Ballot application below, and send it to the McLeod County Auditor-Treasurer’s Office. Your ballot will be sent to you when it is ready (as early as 30 days before Election Day).

If you are serving in the armed forces (see Military Absentee Voting below) or otherwise living outside the US, you vote based on where you last lived in Minnesota. Your parent, spouse, brother, sister, or adult child can apply for you. Apply early - provide at least two weeks travel time for your ballot to reach you and for you to return it to us.
All absentee ballots must arrive at the McLeod County Auditor-Treasurer’s Office no later than 3:00 p.m. on Election Day.
People who move out of Minnesota within 30 days of a presidential election should look at this information on how to vote in the presidential election:
Presidential Absentee Ballot Application

People permanently unable to go to their polling places may request to be put on a permanent absentee ballot recipient list by completing this form:
Absentee Ballot Permanent Application.

The Agent Delivery Designation Form is for health care facility residents who want someone to handle the transmission of their absentee ballot.

Military Absentee Voting
If you are a Minnesota resident visiting or living abroad, you may vote by absentee ballot. We want to make it as easy as possible for you to vote, even as you are away from home, and we will do everything we can to make sure your vote counts. 

To apply for an absentee ballot you simply fill out the Federal Postcard Ballot Application and mail or fax it to the McLeod County Auditor-Treasurer’s Office:
Federal Postcard Ballot Application 

Note: Your absentee ballot must be received in your precinct by Election Day when the polls close, or it will not be counted. So, apply and send in your ballot early

Note: If you permanently reside outside the United States, you are eligible to vote for Federal offices, including President, US Representative, and US Senate. If you are temporarily outside the US, you are eligible to vote the entire ballot including local offices. 

For more information, you may also call the Department of Defense (DOD) Federal Voting Assistance Program at 1-800-438-VOTE (8683), or, email or call our office at 320-864-1203. The DOD is the resource for all overseas US citizens.

Downloadable Files
2022 Absentee Application
Agent Delivery of Absentee Ballots
Federal Post Card Application FPCA
Instructions for Non-Registered Voters
Instructions for Registered Voters
Permanent Absentee Ballot Application
Presidential Absentee Application

Sign up for the latest news and updates

Learn More