State Benefits

Subsistence Grant: MDVA provides financial assistance to veterans who are unable to work due to a temporary disability, for housing, utilities, personal needs, and special needs.

Relief Grant: MDVA provides a once-per-lifetime financial grant to help veterans and their dependents stabilize their lives in a time of hardship. Requests are reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis and all applicants must demonstrate future sustainability beyond the requested amount of assistance.

Dental Assistance: MDVA provides low-income veterans and their dependents with an annual dental benefit to help cover routine dental work. They may also qualify for a once-per-lifetime extraction and denture benefit.

Optical Assistance: MDVA provides low-income veterans and their dependents with an annual optical benefit to help cover eye exams and prescription eyewear.

All applications for SSAP must be made through the County Veterans Services. Please call our office 320-864-1268 for any inquiries and to schedule an appointment.
Minnesota GI Bill provides post secondary financial assistance to eligible Minnesota veterans who have served on or after September 11, 2001 and surviving spouses and children of deceased or severely injured Minnesota veterans who have served on or after September 11, 2001.

This education benefit is a one-time grant in the amount of no more than $750 to be used for tuition only, for veterans who have exhausted their federal educational benefits. It can only be used for approved Minnesota colleges and gets paid directly to the college.

MDVA Surviving Spouse/ Dependent Education Benefit-
This education benefit is for surviving spouses and dependents of veterans who have died while on active duty or as a result of a service connected disability. Tuition is offered free of charge until a bachelor’s degree or equivalent has been obtained at a Minnesota approved university. It also provides a maximum payment of $750 per fiscal year toward fees, books, supplies and room & board.

MINNESOTA VETERANS HOMES-Minnesota Veterans Homes-Minnesota Veterans Homes are available to veterans who have served 181 consecutive days on active duty, are a Minnesota resident and have been honorably discharged. Spouses of eligible veterans over 55 years of age are also eligible if they reside in Minnesota. All applicants must demonstrate a medical need.

Minnesota currently has facilities located in the following areas:
The Minnesota State Veterans Cemeteries are located by Little FallsPreston, Duluth, and Redwood Falls are open to all veterans discharged from active military service under conditions other than dishonorable. Members of the reserve components of the Armed Forces, to include the National Guard are also eligible for burial if they die while on active duty for training or have served 20 creditable years for retired pay. Spouses and minor children of veterans are also eligible for burial at the state cemetery.

The Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs offers a Bronze Star Grave Marker to mark the grave site of any veteran buried in Minnesota, where permitted. To inquire about a Bronze Star Grave Marker, please contact our office at (320) 864-1268.

Sign up for the latest news and updates

Learn More