Developmental Disabilities Services

Developmental DisabilitiesDevelopmental Disabilities is a unit within McLeod County Health and Human Services, which provides services to eligible children and adults with disabilities. Our mission is to assist persons with disabilities to find the unique and individualized supports needed to live self-determined lives within their chosen communities.

The unit provides case management services through experienced social worker case managers. Each eligible individual is assigned a case manager, who will help that individual to develop an individual service plan, provide information regarding available services and resources, and assistance in obtaining the funding for the services/supports that are chosen.

Service LimitationsThere are limitations to the availability of some services and funding. Specialized services for persons with disabilities require the involvement of a county case manager from the Developmental Disabilities Unit. Other services can be accessed without applying for services through the Developmental Disabilities Unit. These include the Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act (TEFRA), Social Security programs, and Personal Care Assistance (PCA) services.

Application Interest
If you are interested in applying for case management and specialized services for persons with developmental disabilities, contact McLeod County Health and Human Services at 320-864-3144. Request a MnCHOICES Assessment.

Find Services and Assistance
DISABILITY LINKAGE LINE: Resources for Minnesotans with disabilities or chronic illnesses and their families or representatives.  For more information on the Disability Linkage Line, please call 866-333-2466.

MINNESOTA HELP:  The web site was developed cooperatively by the Minnesota Board on Aging and the Department of Human Services. It is an online directory of services designed to help people in Minnesota identify resources such as human services, information and referral, financial assistance, and other forms of aid and assistance within Minnesota. It is especially rich in resource information for seniors and their caregivers, disabled and their caregivers, parents and families, and low-income people.

Do you need help with shoveling or plowing this winter?  Minnesota Help lists Snow Removal resources, some of which are low-cost, offered on a sliding fee scale.

DISABILITY  BENEFITS 101: The Disability Benefits 101 webpage is a tool help navigate the benefits that are available to you.

DISABILITY HUB MN: The Disability Hub MN webpage is a free statewide resource network that helps you solve problems, navigate the system and plan for your future.

MINNESOTA DISABILITY LAW CENTER: The Minnesota Disability Law Center provides free legal help and advice to people with disabilities in Minnesota.

To speak with someone in the McLeod County Developmental Disabilities Unit, please call 320-864-3144 and ask to speak to the Adult Unit Intake.  You may also reach the Disabilities Unit by email at:

Sign up for the latest news and updates

Learn More