Feedlot Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Feedlot FAQ

What is a feedlot?
A feedlot is a lot or building, or combination of the two, which is intended for the confined breeding, feeding, or holding of animals and is specifically designed as a confinement area in which manure may accumulate. A concentration of animals so dense that vegetation will not grow is also considered a feedlot. Open pastures are not considered a feedlot under the state definition.
Do I need to register my feedlot?
The McLeod County Feedlot Ordinance requires any feedlot having 50 animal units or more, or having 10 animal units or more in shore land, register for a feedlot permit. In order to register your feedlot the Feedlot Application must be submitted to McLeod County Environmental Services along with any required fees or supplemental documentation.
How often do I have to re-register my feedlot?
Feedlot re-registration is based on a four-year cycle; the state requires that all feedlot owners register once in each cycle. Re-registration requires the completion of a Feedlot Registration Form that is submitted to McLeod County Environmental Services.
What is an animal unit?
An animal unit is a unit of measurement created to compare feedlot animals of all types and sizes. According to Minnesota State Rule Chapter 7020 an animal unit is derived by dividing the average weight of the animal by 1,000 pounds.
Do I need any other permits for my feedlot?
According to the McLeod County Feedlot Ordinance a Conditional Use Permit is required from Planning and Zoning (Environmental Services Department) if any of the following conditions are met: the feedlot is new or existing over 800 animal units, the feedlot has less than one-half acre owned or leased for manure disposal per animal unit, or, if it is a new feedlot requesting to be registered with less than 40 acres under ownership at the facility site.
o Any feedlot over 1,000 animal units will need to obtain either an NPDES or SDS permit as described HERE.
Are there any other stipulations regarding the number of animals on my feedlot?
  • Feedlots of 100 animal units or more require manure testing to be completed
  • Feedlots of 300 animal units or more require a manure management plan
  • Want to develop your own manure management plan? Use the MPCA Manure Management Plan Worksheet
  • Feedlots of 500 animal units or more require notification of all property owners within a 5000’ radius of the facility
  • Feedlots of 800 animal units or more require a conditional use permit
What are the current feedlot setbacks?
For current setback regulations please refer to McLeod County Feedlot Setback Requirements
What are the requirements for application and storage of manure?

o   For incorporated and un-incorporated application of manure please refer to McLeod County Manure Application Setbacks and Manure Application: Water Setbacks

o   Manure stockpiling and application from feedlots outside of McLeod County, greater than 400 animal units, requires either a 48/24 Hour Administrative Permit, which allows for stockpiling of manure for no more than 48 hours and requires incorporation within 24 hours, or a Special 2 Month Administrative Permit, which allows for stockpiling of transported manure from September 1st to October 31st.

o   Manure Stockpiling Setbacks:

§ 100’ of any private well

§ 300’ from surface tile inlets

§ 660’ from any new or existing single-family residence

§ 1000’ from rivers, streams, lakes, or DNR protected wetlands types 3-8

§ 1320’ from public or private drainage ditches and any area rezoned to a rural residential district, church, school, park, city limits, or licensed day care facility

Sign up for the latest news and updates

Learn More