- Qualifications for homestead classification include: owning the property, occupying the property as your primary residence, and maintaining that you are a Minnesota resident.
- If you acquired property that did not have a homestead classification, you have until December 1st of the purchase year to occupy the property, and until December 15th to submit the Homestead Application.
- If you have recently acquired a qualifying property, please watch for a notice from the County Assessor's office. Applications are sent to the residence once we receive sale information; if your property acquisition is near the due date for application in the year of purchase, be sure to access our online application and submit by December 15th, or contact our office for assistance. Please contact us if you have not received an application within 60 days of acquiring the property.
- Qualifying relatives for both residential and occupied agricultural homestead include: parents, grandparents, siblings, children, grandchildren, aunts, uncles, nieces, and nephews of the owner or of the spouse of the owner.
- The most up-to-date requirements from The State of Minnesota Department of Revenue for Homestead Classification.